Preview of IntelliJ IDEA 14 – newest version of the “world’s most intelligent Java IDE” is now out. JetBrains, developer of IntelliJ IDEA, announced last September 26 the release of IntelliJ IDEA 14’s preview in their blog site.
In this preview release, you can test and experience all of IntelliJ IDEA 14’s major changes and new features. You can download the preview and get more information at the official preview page.
Improvements and New Features:
Decompiler – includes built-in decompiler for Java classes.
- Inline Variables View – allows you to view the variables in the Editor.
- Show Referring Objects – view all objects that have references to the selected object.
- Lambda Evaluation – improved Evaluate Expression and Watches for evaluation of lambda expression and anonymous classes.
- Operator Expressions Evaluation – hovering the mouse over the operator allows you to view its value.
Performance – open projects faster and improved IDE responsiveness.
- Smart Backspace Indent – removes indents and white spaces and follow your code style settings.
- Parameter Name Folding –use of caret to unfold the value.
Scratch Files – create prototype using the editor.
User Interface – improved Settings (Preferences) and Project Structure dialogs.
Scala – updated Scala plugin.
Android – incorporated Android Studio Beta’s features.
Thymeleaf – support for Thymeleaf.
- Gradle- improved support for Gradle-based Grails projects
- Maven – ability to disable profiles, navigate definitions and generate MANIFEST.MF.
Java FX – Built-in Scene Builder in UI Designer
- PhoneGap/Cordova/Ionic – developer tools for mobile applications.
Database Tools – enhanced tools for SQL developers
IntelliJ IDEA 14’s final release is expected to come out this fall. If you want to get firsthand information on its final release, you can subscribe by entering your e-mail address on the official preview page.